Tuesday, January 24, 2012

6: Wrapping the Exterior of the Building

Now that the exterior wall framing and the roof were done, it was time to get the building sealed before it got cold.  By this point, October/November of 1990, I had been working 70-80 hours a week for seven months and was physically exhausted.  My head was holding up pretty well, but I no longer felt invincible.  No doubt Virginia was going through some of the same things.

(Click on any image for a larger view.)


Because my building is so close to the lot line the City required that I put two layers of brownboard over the sheathing on the north and west facades to protect the building against a potential fire .  I was able to put the lower layers of the weather resistant gypsum board up by myself. 





The higher pieces were installed by my friend Andy, who doesn't have a problem with heights.  Unlike me.



Once the brownboard was on, to seal against air infiltration and provide a secondary moisture barrier, we stapled up housewrap.


I'm standing in the sideyard. The rear door to the apartment is the opening in the lower right corner of the picture.

Striking a pose: A spear throwing construction worker?  Behind me the plumber was connecting the new 1.25" water line to the city supply.





Once the housewrap was up, I was installing the windows. The two pieces of plywood on the 2nd floor are covering the opening for the front door.




Buttoned up, almost ready for winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment