Friday, January 13, 2012

17: Chicken Coop

In the spring of 2011 I built a chicken coop under my back deck, between the house and the shop.

Basically a little house.

Foundation and floor framing.

Art and I stood up the walls.

A roof, insulation, and housewrap were next. 

I made all the window and door frames from scrap.

With horizontal skip sheathing and the window and door frames installed, next was the cedar shingle siding.


I made the window sash and door panels from reclaimed douglas fir 2x12 joists.

Followed by closing in the run with hardware cloth to keep out raccoons.


I have eight rhode island reds.  Nice layers, but a little noisy.

We put a series of posts about building the coop on the Green Roof Growers blog:

Beginning the Chicken Coop
Chicken Coop Walls Going Up
More Chicken Coop Anatomy
Pictures: Chicken Coop and Community Garden
Chicken Coop Update
More Progress on the Chicken Coop
8 Humans Celebrate 8 Chickens Home

No comments:

Post a Comment